[SAC] Final sign-off items

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Dec 20 16:44:48 PST 2017

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 03:18:21PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> Is everyone in SAC content that GetInteractive fulfilled their part?

> I'm not content about relying on a proprietary wordpress plugin:

 >  - Advanced Custom Fields PRO

Whether or not you are we can get rid of it later.  I guess the only question for holding up closure of this contract is this question you pose

> Was there a clause in the contract about only using free software ?
I don't have contract in front of me, but I suspect not. Jody or Jeff you have the contract handy to confirm?
Even if it is not sure it's worth holding up since I believe GetInteractive has gone beyond the contract in other ways so to me sounds like a wash.

> You say it's obvious to you how it is used, can you explain that to others ? What would be lost by removing that plugin ?
If you look in wordpress admin -

You will see a section called Custom Fields -> Field Groups it shows all places where this plugin is used and rules under which it is active.
" just as description says allows addition of custom fields on various pages and controlled by various rules."

So first off, I think the Sponsors page might break.  We can test that out by deactivating the plugin.

>  Are there alternatives ?
> --strk;
There is ACF (non-Pro version)  which at least has a public github, but given no licensing info I can find, not sure what to make of the FOSSishness of it.
They at least accept pull requests.

https://github.com/AdvancedCustomFields/acf

What functionality we lose if we downgrade to Non-Pro that we are currently using I haven't investigated.  Perhaps GI knows off hand and can elaborate.

I suspect there are others but mapping Advanced Custom Fields metadata use might be trickier or perhaps not.

According to this post https://support.advancedcustomfields.com/forums/topic/exportingimporting-field-values-between-installations/
the fields are stored in table  wp_postmeta

Thanks,
Regina