[SAC] OSGeo Ganeti Cluster

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Dec 28 11:47:26 PST 2017

I would have never suggested libvrt if I didn't know the compatibility.
Both are managers on top of KVM, with the disks of the vms being lvm
volumes. Moving a vm is a matter of copying the lvm volume and declaring
a config to use it as it's disk.

The feature we'd be losing is DRBD, which is a multi server hotcopy
failover system, which we don't really use because of performance issues
with load on some our machines. Ganeti also isn't really designed for
less than 3 servers, and kind of expects those servers to all be roughly
the same.

You are correct if we moved off ganeti we'd remove OSUOSL from anything
but the hardware management. This came up as SAC has never really had
good access to the hosts osgeo3 and osgeo4, and OSUOSL doesn't always
have time to troubleshoot some of our unusual issues.