[SAC] 3rd party GIT on TracSVN-VM

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Wed Nov 1 23:07:02 PDT 2017

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 01:24:26PM +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 11:13:04AM +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
>
> >> I wonder why we're having a GIT binary package installed on the TracSVN VM
> >> which causes broken dependencies.
> >
> > My fault, git-1.8 was needed for Gitea-1.2:
> > https://github.com/go-gitea/git/pull/48
> >
> > Rather than building it manually I downloaded a .deb package from
> > a newer Debian distribution. Feel free to revert to the official
> > packages if you think it'll be safer
>
> I didn't mean to revert the GIT package (because then I'm responsble for
> fixing the Gitea stuff which I know very little about  ;-)

I didn't upgrade Gitea anymore so the old packages would not break
anything.

> and moreover I
> don't generally object against installing packages from compatible distros.
> But if we do so, then I'd prefer not to forcibly break dependencies - as I
> wrote earlier - but instead properly install the required packages as well.

I'm a big lame when it comes to do this part of the work.
Maybe "aptitude" would be smart enough to do it on its own, what do
you think ? Isn't it fun to be stuck on a Debian old-old-old-stable ?  :)

PS: your name often comes out as "the one and only capable of
    upgrading distributions on osuosl VMs"... is that true ?