[SAC] Virtualbox on Osgeo6

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Sep 27 09:04:58 PDT 2017

On 09/27/2017 05:44 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On Wed, 27. Sep 2017 at 09:42:06 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
>> Does the new website really require full virtualizazion ?  Don't techniques
>> which rely on Linux Control Groups provide sufficient separation ?
>
> Sure.  There probably isn't any virtualization required.  But then we'd need to
> setup wordpress.  I thought that was something the contractor offered take over
> and provide an image?  But I didn't follow the discussion closely.  I think
> Jeff also offered to setup and maintain the wordpress install.

The php on OSGeo6 is incompatible. We need to move to some sort of
containerization or virtualization to avoid hitting issues where an
upgrade can't happen because it will break something else.

I suppose if someone wants to tackle upgrading php5 to php7 and
debugging all php apps on osgeo6 that would suffice.

Then we still run into the issue that 2 instances of wordpress were
requested. Production and Testing/Beta. That requires either a
multi-site wordpress install (more complicated to manage), or separate
containers for each instance.

So yes there is an advantage to not putting everything in the main OS,
the downside is picking something that doesn't result in a lot of work
to keep patched.