[SAC] Next meeting discussion - people I'd like to hear from

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Feb 16 16:24:50 PST 2018

On 02/16/2018 03:19 PM, Martin Spott wrote:
> "Regina Obe" wrote:
>
>> 3) Martin - started working wants to hear what he's up to.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, this date doesn't work well for me because it
> coincidences with family habits in the evening (every other weekday evening
> would do so as well).
>
> WRT suggestions concerning "The New Hardware": Quite a few ideas have been
> added to the agenda adressing I/O performance on the new machine.
> Even though more I/O performance is always nice to have, I really wonder if
> hardware limitations in this domain have been identified as current or
> upcoming issue in OSGeo's own infrastructure.
>
> As an update on what I'm working on:
>  - Update all Debian6 VM's to Debian7 and verify they'll reboot
>  - Check more urgent tickets in https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/report/13
>  - Find some old, unused VM to test if they qualify for updating to Debian8
>    or Debian9
>  - Update Osgeo6 to Debian9
>  - Migrate sites off the Projects VM
>  - ....
>
> Cheers,
> 	Martin.

There have been some performance issues with Trac/SVN, though that might
be solved with the updates and tweaks to apache. Download does need more
disk space along with the Foss4g archives.

I'm not sure if you should spend time testing the Debian8/9 upgrades as
all those VMs will be migrated to the new hardware in some fashion be it
new VMs, LXD, or other method. In which case it might be saner to start
with the newest and migrate the data and configuration over.

The migration of all things off OSGeo4 and then OSGeo3(with the new
hardware) will be a big place you can help, along with the SSL related
tickets, etc.

I am agnostic on the Optane card, the other options all seem within the
norm of what we do. I do understand the value of it to add caching
performance, which could remove all sorts of load from ever causing any
issues. Some of the choices are clearly based on mitigating risk on the
SSD drives. If the Optane prevents lots of wear on the disks that seems
worth it.

There does seems to still be plenty of debate on the precise
implementation, etc. But other than lots of ram I'm not sure ZFS
requires anything special. I also don't think this part of the debate
should hold up the purchase. Since it's all done during the install and
setup.