[SAC] OSGeo Ganeti Cluster

Lance Albertson ramereth at osuosl.org
Fri Jan 5 09:45:32 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
wrote:

> I would have never suggested libvrt if I didn't know the compatibility.
> Both are managers on top of KVM, with the disks of the vms being lvm
> volumes. Moving a vm is a matter of copying the lvm volume and declaring
> a config to use it as it's disk.

​This is true​ and wouldn't be that difficult to do.

> The feature we'd be losing is DRBD, which is a multi server hotcopy
> failover system, which we don't really use because of performance issues
> with load on some our machines. Ganeti also isn't really designed for
> less than 3 servers, and kind of expects those servers to all be roughly
> the same.

​While I agree it works better with at least 3 servers, clusters running
only two is OK still.​ I don't recall what issues you had in the past with
DRBD but it hasn't been that much of problem lately on our clusters.

> You are correct if we moved off ganeti we'd remove OSUOSL from anything
> but the hardware management. This came up as SAC has never really had
> good access to the hosts osgeo3 and osgeo4, and OSUOSL doesn't always
> have time to troubleshoot some of our unusual issues.

​That's OK with us, we can do whatever makes the most sense for you and
your project.​ At the time, Ganeti was the best option, but now there are a
few other options available. We have been using OpenStack internally for
several years and are almost ready to open up a larger cluster for FOSS
projects. It's a bit more complicated to maintain, but it offers a lot more
flexibility in how you manage and access the VMs using a standard public
API.

What are your project's needs?

--
Lance Albertson