[SAC] New Hardware, can we purchase now

Chris Giorgi chrisgiorgi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 17:28:39 PDT 2018

Hi Harrison,
I understand what you mean regarding PCIe lanes, but I would be highly
surprised if supermicro chose to share the lanes of the slot used for
the lone PCIe riser with any other devices, given the large number of
PCIe lanes provided by the controllers on dual xeon processors. Of
course, if you can verify or refute that, it would be valuable. In any
case, U.2 would still be far faster than a SATA3 interconnect even if
it was bridged and only had four lanes :)

The write cache is responsible for logging every write before
returning from a synchronous write, so each DB transaction to
insert,update,or delete an entry may represent dozens or even hundreds
of block writes to the cache by the time it completes; these blocks
are however reordered into a transaction group for the write to the
permanent storage pool. Standard SSDs used in such an application
either have to be grossly oversized and/or replaced on a somewhat
frequent basis, and they also don't perform nearly as well in general.
The previous generation SLC flash based enterprise SSDs such as the
Intel 3700 have been discontinued, and prices are absurdly high for
those units which are available. SSDs also tend to slow noticeably
after a use for frequent writes.

The expected useful life of this server is planned for 5-7 years
minimum, and one of the criteria that was stated is avoiding the
necessity for on-site modifications or service if at all possible. A
rough estimate is 2-5years service for SSDs of around twice the size,
vs 6-10yrs on the optanes, based on both DWPD and MTBF. Please take a
look at the specs and let me know if I missed something.

Thanks,
   ~~~Chris~~~