[SAC] http://download.osgeo.org doesn't respond

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Sun May 13 05:16:44 PDT 2018

Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 8:24 PM, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
>> I noticed there were about 30 vsftpd server processes running under account
>> ftp and account nobody.  I killed all of them and shutoff the vsftpd
>> service.
>>
>> I thought we just use https/http/and sftp-server for downloads or is that
>> service used for something else.
>>
>> I thought people download via https/http and people upload via sftp-server?
>
> I'm not aware of any FTP service OSGeo would need.
>
> Still the CPU load is again very high.
>
> I checked some directories and see that the NFS mounted
> /osgeo/download cannot be read:
>
> download:/osgeo/download# time -p ls -la
> ^C
> real 157.36
> user 0.00
> sys 0.00
>
> This leads to rsync hanging:
> jef       8675  0.0  0.0  11600   852 ?        DNs  05:13   0:00 rsync
> --server -vre.iLsfxC --delay-updates --remove-source-files .
> osgeo4w/x86//release/
>
> I guess the NFS daemon should be restarted?

Ok, aparently "download" was mounting from "osgeo6" via NFS and, at the same
time, exporting not only via HTTP but via FTP and Rsync as well.

After removing "rpcbind" both on "download" and "osgeo6", the NFS mount
stalled and all dependent processes were stuck.
It looks like the NFS mount was set up on Okt 19, 2017.  I hope I didn't do
this myself ....  At least this explains why "rpcbind" was installed on
exactly these two machines, which actually made me feel surprised when I
noticed its existence.

Cheers,