[SAC] [support.osuosl.org #30704] OSGeo Server Parts Order

Lance Albertson via RT support at osuosl.org
Sat Aug 17 12:21:38 PDT 2019

On Fri Aug 16 17:09:30 2019, michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com wrote:
> ZFS on Ubuntu 18 is just  sudo apt install zfsutils-linux
>
> >> We finally got the parts in the machines. How would you like the disks to
> >> be configured in the HW RAID? RAID5, RAID6? RAID10? Also, I'd imagine you
> >> want this machine to be moved onto a public network? Do you want us to
> >> install the OS, and if so what?
> >>
> >> Thanks-
> >
> > Hmm, we plan to run Ubuntu 18.04 with ZFS so that we can easily do lxd
> > containers. Last I checked installing ZFS during install was kind of
> > annoying, so maybe a small slice off one drive as ext4 for the OS and the
> > rest ZFS post install. In which case the "Raiding" would be done via ZFS in
> > software?
> >
> > I'll let someone chime in if that doesn't sound right.

So it sounds like you want the server setup with a JBOD (just a bunch of disks)
effectively making each disk visible for ZFS and no HW RAID. Unfortunately, the
disk controllers technically don't support JBOD, however we can work around it
by setting up each disk as a RAID0 device. This is what we do our Ceph storage
nodes and it works quite nicely. It also allows the disks to use the HW RAID
cache.

Do you want me to attempt to do a rootfs on ZFS or try and keep it simple and
just do a RAID1 with the first partition on two or more drives, and leave the
rest of the drives for ZFS?

--
Lance Albertson
Director