[SAC] Flickr FOSS4G and OSGeo photo history deadline Feb 5th

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 19:58:46 PST 2019

As covered on discuss a couple months ago, And covered in the board meeting
on Monday:

Our OSGeo, FOSS4G and FOSS4G-NA photos on flicker may be reduced on Feb 5th
as some photos are removed.

Since these photos were shared with our groups we do not really know which
ones will be removed. Photographers are asked to subscribe with a monthly
fee (or have a limit of 1000 photos).

It is not really possible for us as a group to do much, which is a shame
for the internet as Flickr has a wide range of CC images (since they did a
good job of explaining open licenses and making them easily to use.)

Q: Can we throw the images on OSGeo next cloud?

Q: Should we only copy the CC images? Or should we copy everything and try
and reach authors before sharing?

Aside: Many participants missed the CC license step - which is too bad as
it is a good “first time” experience at contributing open content.

Q: Anyone know of an API we could use to grab our images?

Q: Any other Flickr groups we should capture for our history?
Jody Garnett