[SAC] [OSGeo] #1940: osgeo4 needs new disks

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon May 13 09:26:08 PDT 2019

On 5/12/19 15:03, OSGeo wrote:
> #1940: osgeo4 needs new disks
> ---------------------------+---------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  strk           |       Owner:  sac@…
>      Type:  task           |      Status:  reopened
>
> Comment (by robe):
>
>  Here is note from Lance's email dated Apr 8th 2019, with the link:
>

>  ----
>  I just checked and osgeo3 has no failed drives (currently). However,
>  osgeo4 has one failed drive in a RAID6 and if you'd like to replace it, it
>  seems like it's going to be fairly cheap [1]. This should be an exact
>  replacement.  If you do plan on replacing it, you should buy 2-3 more just
>  in case others fail.
>
>  Do you have any idea when you'll be wrapping the migrations up?
>
>  Thanks-
>
>  [1] https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148538

Question, at ~$30 do we want to buy 2 or 3, 3 being 1 extra?
If I recall OSGeo3 has 146 GB drives. My understanding is you can use
bigger drives, the raid just won't fill the space beyond the match to
the other drives.
I think the idea behind buying extra is that this type of drive may
become rare soon. It is a 9 year old SAS model.