[SAC] Vote request to extend Sysadmin Contract 2019-I amount for another $5000

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sat May 25 10:47:59 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 06:15:14PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> What I'd like to accomplish in next round, which I hope to do in a new $5000
> budget

It looks like your MUA wraps long lines, here's the query URL, hoping
it won't get wrapped:

https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=new&status=reopened&milestone=Sysadmin+Contract+2019-I

I think every sysadmin round should include update of all docs, so
that by the end of each slot any other sysadmin can take over, it's
important to keep bus factor low..

> 1)      Create new ldap.osgeo.or g ( now on osgeo7) running debian 9

 \o/

> 2)      Create new download.osgeo.org (on osgeo7) running debian 9 / nginx

 \o/

> 3)      Install letsencrypt on all servers that need it replacing the
> SSL.com star cert that expired May 1st

 \o/

> 4)      Migrate VMS projects, adhoc, web (still need to do some final
> checks) as is to LXD containers now on osgeo7

 \o/

> 5)      Setup 30 day retention lxd image snapshots of key osgeo7 vms
> 6)      Upgrade LXD to snap 3.12 so always at the latest stable LXD offering

LXD is new, right ?
Where's all this LXD for OSGeo business documented ?

> 7)      Decommission osgeo4 so it's ready to be reformatted/firmware
> upgraded (all old vms have either been rebuilt as new lxd containers or
> migrated as is using lxd-p2c tool to osgeo7)

\o/

I really appreciate all the effort you put into this Regina,
and very much hope it won't be disspated by lack of documentation
and guidance for other SAC members. I know I've been busy and unable
to attend meetings and will likely be the same for the future, so

I'd like to ask you to use email more (like this) and ensure all
procedures for sysadmin work are properly documented, from some common
starting point (last I worked on this the entry point for SAC work
was https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC_Service_Status, and I think I'd
still go there to find up-to-date information. Can you make sure, in
the next contract, to update that page with whatever it takes ?
Having that page point to somewhere else is fine, as long as people
are not lost from there :)

Thanks again !