[SAC] [Hosting] DNS outage (currently temporarily resolved)

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Tue Sep 17 11:12:35 PDT 2019

All,

Starting at around 10:30 AM PDT (1730 UTC), all three of our DNS servers
stopped responding to DNS requests. We temporarily recovered the services
starting at 10:53 AM PDT (1753 UTC). Initial investigated work suggests we
ran into this problem [1] due to the release of CentOS 7.7 today which
updated the version of bind. When our configuration management tool ran, it
automatically upgraded bind which caused this problem. For now we've
disabled our configuration management on the nodes pending a more permanent
solution. We'll try to minimize the outage impacts when we deploy the
permanent solution.

Apologies for the issues.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=820056

--