[SAC] [Hosting] Ganeti software upgrade - Feb 12, 2020 11am-12pm PST (1900-2000 UTC)

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Tue Feb 11 09:16:06 PST 2020

All,

We're going to be performing a software upgrade on our production Ganeti VM
clusters on Feb 12, 2020 between 11am-12pm PST (1900-2000 UTC). This is not
to be confused with our OpenStack clusters as those are completely separate
and will not be affected. We will be upgrading two clusters (OSL prod,
CiviCRM) from 2.11.8 to 2.15.2 which includes support for the newer version
of qemu-kvm we're now using. We started noticing that live migration
stopped working properly due to the lack of support in the older version we
are using. This will ensure that will continue to work.

We had delayed this upgrade on our remaining clusters due to a problem we
encountered during the upgrade where all VMs on the cluster would be
abruptly powered off. Since then, we have replicated the issue in a testing
environment and have come up with a solution that works around that issue.
It seems to stem from the fact this upgrade goes from using a standard SysV
init script to a systemd unit file.

We do not foresee any outages that will happen during this upgrade, however
I wanted to send this email out just in case something did happen.

Thanks!

--
Lance Albertson
Director