[SAC] [abuse #31856] CISA Security issues with OSGEO hosts

Lance Albertson via RT abuse at osuosl.org
Thu Oct 28 08:44:21 PDT 2021

> [Regina Obe]
> I did upgrade osgeo3 to Debian 11 and nginx 1.18.0 So they are all running
> nginx 1.18.0 now.
>
> To get the newer nginx 1.20 I'd have to upgrade to Debian 12 (bookworm), which
> hasn't come out yet.

If you've updated to the latest release in Debian 11, you should be good to go
from my side. You should see version 1.18.0-6.1 or higher according to this [1]
as they tend to back port patches so the versions don't always line up.

[1] https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2021-23017

> For the osgeo7 and osgeo4 -- they are both running Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS Which
> came with nginx 1.18.0
>
> And they are all at the latest patch level.  That is the latest LTS for
> Ubuntu.

As long as they are up to date then it should be good.

> The patch for https://ubuntu.com/security/CVE-2021-23017  doesn't seem to have
> been provided upstream yet.  I think if I switch repo to the nginx one, I may
> be able to switch to the nginx-1.21 but I haven't tried doing that yet.  I'll
> experiment with that later this week.

You should see something like the following if you've updated it:

dpkg-query -s nginx | grep Version:
Version: 1.18.0-0ubuntu1.2

That's the version that's listed as being patched on ubuntu CVE site.

So as far as I can tell, you're good to go and the reporting system is likely
not taking the ubuntu patched version into account.

Thanks for looking into this!

--
Lance Albertson
Director