[SAC] Vote: Sysadmin Contract I 2022 and Budget

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Jan 10 09:07:35 PST 2022

Yes we should start a new thread.

From: Alex Mandel [mailto:tech_dev at wildintellect.com]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2022 11:50 AM
To: Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us>
Cc: tech at wildintellect.com; 'System Administration Committee Discussion/OSGeo' <sac at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: RE: [SAC] Vote: Sysadmin Contract I 2022 and Budget

Draft looks pretty good, have a few questions. Wondering if we should start a separate thread about it.

On Jan 8, 2022 12:04, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us <mailto:lr at pcorp.us> > wrote:

Alex,

I took a stab at a budget. https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Budget#2022

Notable changes:

1) Wiki lines taken out
2) Added a line "Donation to open source infra projects we rely on".  I'm not sure if this should fall in our budget or another.
In discussing with folks, I think a lot of people feel that even if we are running our own infrastructure we should support (at least small struggling projects) we rely on for infra software to help keep them afloat and minimize the risk they close off their open source offerings.  Such donation we can maybe change to tech support or something.  Like for example Limesurvey has a Comfort-update-extension (which costs $88/year) https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2688
-- so some of the donation we set aside Limesurvey would go towards purchase of that and simplify the upgrade.

3) Upped the budget on contracts (to be $6250 per contract )
approximately 125 USD x50 -- the exchange rate at the moment between EUR and US is $125 USD / $110 EUR

4) Hardware supplies I upped a little bit cause of plan to buy new disks for osgeo9.
5) OSUOSL hosting I upped to $5000 (from $4600) cause there is inflation and we'll probably need OSUOSL to do a bit extra to install the disks and resetup the OS.

On a general note, as mentioned before I think we should have two system contracts running in parallel, to maximize coverage, but with perhaps a longer duration and to deal with cases where current main sysadmin is not funded waiting for a new contract.

So I'm thinking if no one else wants to be the second, I'll put in a contract request to cover the whole year and just work 50% less on things to stretch out the coverage.

Thanks,
Regina