[SAC] PSC Vote: Buy disks for osgeo8 and osgeo9

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri Sep 30 16:55:05 PDT 2022

The disks on osgeo8 (2 are failing)

And the disks on osgeo9 (are only 70 GB in size each)

Both servers currently have 8 drives

I've been reviewing a lot of the options and best I think is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224083213581

As I have detailed here - https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2591

My proposal is to buy 4  of these 1 1.2TB 10K SAS 2.5" 6G Server Hard
Drives.

Which are stated to be compatible with our server  HP DL360 G6.
They are refurbished and not HP brand, thus much cheaper than new drives.
But newer HP drives would be a waste of money as they are in the $300-$600
range for each server and these are old servers.

So cost would be

$33*4  = $132

2 will go into osgeo8

and remaining 2 will go into osgeo9

If these work fine after a month or so then we get 12 more for an additional
$396.

I have dismissed SSD drives since that would require SATA.

+1

Also would like to hear if anyone else has opinions on matter since I'm not
that knowledgeable about hardware.

Thanks,
Regina