[SAC] [Hosting] Maintenance - VPN Migration - 2023-08-07

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Tue Aug 1 19:13:26 PDT 2023

*Summary:*

We are migrating services running on a legacy system which hosts OpenVPN
and routing for some of our NAT networks to a newer set of machines. This
will also upgrade our OpenVPN server to a newer version along with
upgrading the default ciphers supported.In addition, this will be setup
with a primary-secondary set of servers so we have some high
availability with this service moving forward.

We have updated our documentation [1] concerning our OpenVPN service which
will be current after the maintenance next week. If you are running on an
operating system which uses OpenSSL 3.x by default, you will need to get a
new certificate from us which is signed using sha256 instead of sha1.
Please see this section [2] of the documentation on how to get a new
certificate. We'll send the updated certificates after the maintenance has
been completed.

[1] https://wiki.osuosl.org/howtos/vpn_config.html
[2] https://wiki.osuosl.org/howtos/vpn_config.html#unable-to-connect

*Affected Time (UTC):*
2023-08-07 21:00:00 - 2023-08-07 23:00:00 [0d 2h 0m 0s]

Actual outage should only be a few minutes at most if everything goes well.

*Affected services:*
- OpenVPN (vpn.osuosl.org)
- NAT routers for the following networks:
  - 10.0.0.0/23
  - 10.1.0.0/23
  - 10.1.50.0/24
- Hosts connected the subnets above will experience a brief outage

--
Lance Albertson
Director