[SAC] [Hosting] mysql1-vip (mysql1/mysql2) OS Upgrade | May 24th and 31st, 2023 20:00-24:00 UTC

Ethan Hampton hamptone at osuosl.org
Mon May 15 14:01:26 PDT 2023

All,

We will be upgrading our mysql1-vip MySQL cluster (mysql1/mysql2)
Wednesday, May 24th, 2023 and Wednesday, May 31st, 2023. Both upgrades will
take place between 20:00-24:00 UTC (1pm-5pm PDT). No or minimal downtime is
expected, however the entirety of both maintenance windows is reserved.

Prior to the upgrades (~11am PDT), we will be running a backup of the
cluster. We expect no downtime from this backup operation.

We are upgrading the operating system and configuration management on these
two servers to AlmaLinux 8 and Chef respectively. The version of MySQL will
*not* change.

*If you are using the mysql1-vip cluster, please make sure you are using
the mysql1-vip.osuosl.org <http://mysql1-vip.osuosl.org> address instead of
mysql1/2.osuosl.org <http://2.osuosl.org> directly or outages will occur.*

We have tested this upgrade in a separate environment and believe that it
will have minimal impact to projects on the cluster. If you have any
questions or concerns, please let us know. We'll be in #osuosl on Libera
Chat during the upgrade in case any one needs to contact us directly.

Thanks!

--
Ethan Hampton
Student Systems Engineer