[SAC] [OSGeo] #3011: Write recommendation for mailing list configuration regarding DKIM/DMARC/SPF

OSGeo trac_osgeo at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 31 05:56:24 PDT 2023

#3011: Write recommendation for mailing list configuration regarding
DKIM/DMARC/SPF
------------------------------+------------------------
 Reporter:  strk              |       Owner:  sac@…
     Type:  task              |      Status:  new
Comment (by gdt):

 It is clear that we can't have a solution that makes everybody happy.
 List-Foo headers seem to be pretty clearly a standard, and if someone and
 their MUA can't deal with that, I don't think we should make everyone
 suffer from forged From: lines because of it.

 I don't understand "stripping and resigning is a valid option".  That
 requires a forged From:.

 The Sender: situation is crazy.   It is normal for mailinglists to add
 Sender:.   So I see three options:

   - Add Sender:.  If a message to the list has DKIM covering Sender: and a
 DMARC policy, reject it, because that domain has declared that messages
 from its users may not appear on mailing lists.
   - With DKIM/Sender and DMARC, skip adding Sender:
   - Just don't add Sender either

 The first option is righteous but unhelpful.   Given the pg experience of
 not having problems from not adding sender, I think the third option is
 best.
--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/3011#comment:8>
OSGeo <https://osgeo.org/>