PSC Vote: Let's move this list to discourse

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Jan 5 05:11:08 PST 2024

Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> writes:

> While this "bot-mediated" communication somewhat also happens with
> Mailman, the messages we receive via Mailman still contain the email
> address of whoever talks, which in turn can be used to bring the
> communication somewhere that doesn't require the bot to remain in the
> middle.
>
> This is an important paradigma shift that we should carefully consider
> as it can kill communities (I do feel this problem very heavily with
> the modern issue trackers - I never know how to contact people without
> having to take a million steps which turn me into a detective).

I am only a lurker not a contributor here on sac@ but this is a good
point.  I occasionally find it useful to be able to send offlist private
replies occasionally, even though I am a "keep it on list" type
normally.  Maintaining unison on github, there's no way that I know to
do that.

I also agree with strk@'s point that there are already guinea pigs and
it would be good to straighten them out fully first.  It seems there is
a belief that discourse is great and sufficient but it isn't yet clear
that this is really true.