PSC Vote: Let's move this list to discourse

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Fri Jan 5 07:10:48 PST 2024

Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Did we find out a way to get mailing list subscribers into the
> discourse system automatically ? Mailman users each have some form of
> "account" (they do have a password they can use to edit Mailman
> settings) - could Mailman authentication be used to log into Discourse ?

I suspect it would be preferred to take the opposite direction and not to
introduce yet another authentication service. The Postorious frontend to
Mailman3 has sort of veritable user-accounts:

  ~$ echo ".dump auth_user" | sqlite3 /var/lib/mailman3/web/mailman3web.db

and you can even plug in an LDAP backend:

  https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/-/issues/132#note_21045322

Don't get me wrong, this is not a vote in favour of retiring this list for
Discourse. I would just like to remind you how long it took to free the Wiki
from its standalone authentication.

Best regards,

	Martin