PSC Vote: Let's move this list to discourse

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Jan 5 15:29:33 PST 2024

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 01:36:02PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > For lists focused on public interaction like marketing it is an advantage
> > to have GitHub login (and others). We are a public service outreach
> > organization after all :)
>
> If github is supported, it should be via 'use your openid auth provider'
> where you can type in any and it's just an example.  github is already
> more than dominant enough to have crossed into harmful, in that if you
> do something not on github, people demand that you justify it.

I agree on this.

I didn't find a way for Discourse to let you use an arbitrary openid
provider. But earlier today I had configured it to let you login via
gitea.com on which you can login using OpenID-2.0, which is the protocol
allowing you to use your own openid auth provider:

    https://gitea.com/user/login/openid

Unfortunately the Discourse "OpenID-Connect" plugin doesn't seem to
let you add an arbitrary number of authentication sources so we're
stuck of either pick gitea.com OR git.osgeo.org/gitea as the
authentication providers, so at the moment I went with ours (which
does not allow OpenID-2.0 sign-in).

What we can do:

  1. Implement IndieAuth plugin for Discourse
     https://meta.discourse.org/t/indieauth-login/48182

  2. Implement OpenID-2.0 plugin for Discourse

  3. Enable OpenID-2.0 support in the OSGeo Gitea and use that

I never understood if OpenID-Connect could possibly work with an
arbitrary URI as my understanding is that you are supposed to share
a secret with the identity provider, which cannot possibly be the
case with arbitrary URIs.