[SeasonOfDocs] Hello

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 09:20:54 PDT 2019

HI All,

Firstly introductions- I'm Jo Cook, and I've been involved in OSGeo stuff
for a long time, my current role is as Chair and founder of the UK local
chapter, though I've had a stint on the OSGeo board, and been involved in
various conferences both in the UK and the International event. For my paid
gig I'm a GIS consultant with Astun Technology, focusing on metadata, but
with a role that encompasses the majority of the open source GIS stack. I'm
really keen to find a role with the Season of Docs as I see it as a great
way to contribute to projects without being a serious coder. I'd like to
focus on Geonetwork, as it's a project very dear to my heart, and the
documentation needs help catching up with the new features. I'd also like
to make it easier for other non-coders to help improve the documentation
rather than relying on the developers to resolve it.

Secondly- Cameron's question about QGIS courses- we also run QGIS training
courses in the UK, and I think there's a fairly wide market, both
geographically, and in the types of customer. We are focused on integration
with cloud technologies, such as delivering QGIS via AWS AppStream, and
less on teaching people to use all of the functionality, for example for
higher-end processing and analysis. Having said that, I think there's a
really big need for standard training materials- and also if possible the
kind of training materials that could be used for schools, to try to break
the monopoly that certain proprietary companies have on that area.

Regards

Jo