[SeasonOfDocs] WtD and tGDP, WAS Re: introduction

Jennifer Rondeau jennifer.rondeau at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 11:19:09 PDT 2019

Hi Jo,

Thanks for more questions -- I think they're important as we all try to
figure out good ways to help make software docs better, wherever they
happen (the docs and the "good ways"). I also think there will always be
overlapping initiatives and the most important way to deal with that fact
is to work on discoverability and connecting communities and efforts
wherever and however we can.

I think you're probably right, the underlying reasons or motivations for
WtD and tGDP are the same or very similar. But they seem to me at least to
be entities with different purposes and structure, which is why I
emphasized the WtD-as-community vs tGDP-as-product/project comparison. tGDP
is evidently also a community, but a community in service to a more
specific goal, of producing quite particular guidelines for OSS project
docs.

The tGDP archive includes mention of other resources as well, and at that
point maybe Jo's concern starts to make more sense. I'm a newcomer, so I
offer my vision very tentatively, but from my current vantage point I'd
like to see tGDP focus on templates, guidelines, tools -- the basic
infrastructure that an OSS project needs for its docs to contribute well to
its success. There are WtD resources that can help with that. There are
resources other people have developed, too, sometimes on their own,
sometimes as forks or improvements to previous work -- just like OSS
itself. Maybe as tGDP and WtD both continue to grow, there'll be obvious
places for one to rely on the other for expanded goals or resources, but
... well, I'm a fan of the iterative approach.

Does this help any further?