[SeasonOfDocs] The Good Docs Project - next steps

Erin McKean emckean at google.com
Mon Jul 1 13:00:42 PDT 2019

Thanks Cameron! (resending now that I'm on the SOD list ..)

Hi folks, I'm Erin, I've been at Google since this past October, working on
templates to help developers create documentation for their open source
projects. In my non-Google life I run Wordnik.com (a 501c3 nonprofit that
is the world's biggest dictionary) and was previously editor in chief for
American dictionaries for Oxford University Press, where I also was an
acquiring editor for trade nonfiction language titles. I've published
several non-dictionary books, including a novel, and intermittently blog
about my sewing hobby. For fun, I run the Semicolon Appreciation Society
(which involves mostly giving out Semicolon Appreciation Society stickers).

I am very excited about The Good Docs project -- while researching docs
templates for open source, I've seen that there are lots of small
collections of templates (usually for readmes and contributor information)
but after that interest seems to die off. I think a bigger group with lots
of different use cases could put together a broader set of templates for a
wider audience as well as creating general good-docs guidance!

Also, as a mostly self-taught developer I selfishly want more and better
documentation in the world so I can get better too. :) I've been involved
with the OpenAPI (the spec formerly known as Swagger) for a while and am
particularly interested in API documentation.

At this point I know I just want to be involved since there's so much that
seems to overlap with my Actual Job, and I'm happy to see where the gaps
might be and how I might be helpful in filling them!

Thanks for including me!

Erin

--
Erin McKean | Developer Relations Program Manager, Open Source Strategy |
emckean at google.com | she/her