[SeasonOfDocs] formats, tools, workflows

Erin McKean emckean at google.com
Mon Jul 15 06:59:19 PDT 2019

It sounds like a high-value task might be doing a survey around what
developers (as opposed to professional technical writers) prefer, since
they are our target audience ... :)

I agree with Jennifer's point that people who prefer RST or AsciiDoc are
more used to doing conversions than the other way around. I am strongly in
favor of markdown (in any flavor) for this reason.

Erin

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 6:55 AM Jennifer Rondeau <jennifer.rondeau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm inclined to agree with Jo's recommendation of markdown also, at least
> for content that we don't publish directly on the WtD website.
>
> BUT Felicity asked about data for use of lightweight markup languages --
> to the best of my somewhat but not entirely limited knowledge, there isn't
> real data, only folk wisdom that developers prefer markdown because it's
> simpler. But every time I've seen that proposition articulated, devs come
> out of the woodwork protesting that no, they want to use only the most
> appropriate tool and are happy to switch to something else. That's been my
> direct experience as well, but YMMV.
>
> That said, we've got not much more than folk wisdom to go on, hence my
> recommendation of markdown. I also think that if we deliver templates in
> markdown (which we'll need to mark up specially for them to render in the
> browser anyway -- see inter alia the templates for the Kubernetes docs, at
> https://github.com/kubernetes/website/blob/master/content/en/docs/contribute/style/page-templates.md),
> people accustomed to working in rST or AsciiDoc will be more adept at
> translating into their preferred markup language than the other way around.
> We could also skip the rendering-markdown-literally approach to templates.
>
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 9:25 AM Jo Cook <jo.k.cook at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> HI All,
>>
>> I'm in favour of keeping things as simple as possible, for long term
>> maintenance and for lowering the barrier for potential contributors. I
>> think also that we need to be clear whether we're talking about the format
>> of the files we use to build the website (which I guess includes the
>> documentation on best practices) and the format that we provide the
>> templates in.
>>
>> I've got experience of both markdown and rst in both respects, and I
>> think there are pros and cons to both, but all things being equal, I'd tend
>> to choose markdown for the simplicity of the format. I'm a big fan of the
>> markdown -> gh-pages approach for collaborative websites- it's what we use
>> for uk.osgeo.org and it works really well for that where there's a
>> distributed team of around 15 people with committing rights and varying
>> levels of technical experience.
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Jo
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 1:42 AM Felicity Brand <felicitybrand at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of food for thought here!
>>>
>>> Are there any stats on usage/most popular languages? Just curious.
>>>
>>> Then we could rely on stats to choose one option to launch with, and be
>>> reactive when folks say something like "this is great but I wish it was in
>>> AsciiDoc".
>>>
>>> We can be poised with a plan to build out into other languages/formats.
>>>
>>> Also, are there converters?

>> --

Erin McKean | Developer Relations Program Manager, Open Source Strategy |
emckean at google.com | she/her