[SeasonOfDocs] Geonetwork call yesterday

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 02:32:53 PDT 2019

Hi All,

Some slightly belated notes from the Geonetwork call we had yesterday...

1) The OSGeoLive Quick Start guide for Geonetwork was revised, based on the
feedback we had over the last few weeks. This can't directly be implemented
in the main Geonetwork documentation as it's a couple of versions behind,
so screenshots at least will need changing, but hopefully it's an
improvement.

2) As part of the Quick Start guide revision, I (Jo) started a style guide
for Geonetwork documentation on the project wiki at
https://github.com/geonetwork/doc/wiki/Documentation-Style-Guide-(WIP)
mainly so that I could ensure I was consistent in my own writing! This is
very much a work in progress and totally available for changes and
revisions of course.

3) Byron Cochrane has been revising our spreadsheet on the documentation
headings, ready to start getting people to start reviewing sections.

4) Paul Van-Genuchten is preparing some workshop materials for GeoCat, and
is considering if or how these could be made available for more general
use. This requires some thought as much of the workshop is customised to
match the GeoCat-skinned version of Geonetwork.

5) Byron is thinking of talking about Geonetwork and the Season of Docs
initiative at FOSS4G Oceania. He's keen to know if anyone else involved in
Geonetwork is going.

6) Paul has rebuilt the main Geonetwork documentation so that the "edit on
github" button now goes to the correct page, hurrah! Thanks to Byron for
the original Pull Request for this.

7) Finally (I think), I have been creating some new documentation on the
use of the 'q search' for querying the catalog. This is based on some
information provided on the mailing list a while ago, and it's for a
client, but once it's tested I'll do a pull request to get it reviewed and
then hopefully included in the main Geonetwork documentation.

The call in two week's time has been cancelled as I'm on leave, and we all
acknowledge that with summer holidays and conferences, things might be a
bit sporadic until later in the year. We'll keep you all posted though.

Thanks to Byron, Paul, and Maria for attending the call.

All the best

Jo