[SeasonOfDocs] TheGoodDocsProject: Contributor Agreements

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 05:15:05 PDT 2019

It has been ~ 10 years since I last looked into open source contributor
agreements, so I've been doing some research. I feel this is an
important consideration for a project which is hopefully to be as
central as ours will become.

It is about having contributors confirm they are allowed to give to our
project and to agree we can distribute contributions under our open
licenses.
We have a few options: do nothing, old heavy weight Contributor License
Agreement (CLA), or lightweight Developer Certificate of Origin (DCO)
Pros and cons are explained in Producing Open Source Software:
https://producingoss.com/en/contributor-agreements.html#developer-certificate-of-origin
I propose we adopt the light DCO: https://developercertificate.org/

I'd like to hear if anyone has any opinions or experience in this area
(especially from those of you in big companies which have legal
departments which may be opinionated.)

After we've discussed for a few days (weeks if being debated), I'll put
together a motion to vote on.

Cheers,

--
Cameron Shorter