[SeasonOfDocs] TheGoodDocsProject: Contributor Agreements

Erin McKean emckean at google.com
Mon Jul 29 16:06:00 PDT 2019

More answers: fwiw, turns out that the strongest argument for a CLA (over a
DCO or nothing) is relicensing rights:

"Let's say the project has code samples under Apache, and
documentation under CC 4 (common licensing scheme). If they accept a
patch to the docs under DCO, that patch is CC4 forever, and they don't
have the right to put it in the Apache code section! And vice-versa;
they'd have to ask each contribution author every single time.

With CLA you have relicense rights."

Also it turns out they will review a CLA (and fairly quickly) from projects
not already on the approved list. :)

Erin