[SeasonOfDocs] TheGoodDocsProject: Templates repo proposal

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 05:08:46 PDT 2019

+1 for a separate repository for templates. Reasons:
* It is a stand alone product
* It has it's own CC0 license (which is different to the rest of the site).

Re structure, I suggest a slight variant (I'll use Quickstart to avoid
confusion)

-- Templates repo
   -- CONTRIBUTING.md
   -- LICENSE.md
   -- Quickstart/ folder
       QuickstartSimple.md (this is one of the blessed template)
       QuickstartStandard.md (we might have upto ~ 4 distinct variants.
Eg: CC0, CC-By, CC-By-SA for licenses)
       OTHER Quickstart/ folder (these would be other examples)
       README.md (the README about these Quickstart templates)

Exemplar uses of the templates, or development versions, or non-blessed
versions should be kept in separate branches from this master, or maybe
in separate repositories.

On 31/7/19 8:44 pm, Jo Cook wrote:
> Hi Erin,
>
> I'm keen on keeping the templates in their own repsitory, so a big +1
> on that. I'm less worried about the structure within it.
>
> My thoughts are as follows:
>
> 1) People downloading the templates want the templates and not the website
> 2) We can, if we choose, create releases and downloads, and/or link to
> the repository as a submodule in other repositories like the website
> or the documentation
> 3) We can customise pull request templates and such like to fit the
> repository much better
>
> All the best
>
> Jo
>
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 10:46 PM Erin McKean <emckean at google.com
> <mailto:emckean at google.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi folks!
>
>     As discussed in today's meeting, should we have a separate repo
>     just for templates? This would be CC-0 licensed and the "how-to"
>     documentation would link to it.
>
>     Structure TBD, but the general idea would be to have folders for
>     types of templates and then 'blessed' examples for each use case.
>
>     E.g. for READMEs, the structure would be:
>     -- Templates repo
>       -- CONTRIBUTING.md
>       -- LICENSE.md
>       -- READMEs folder
>           README.md (this is the blessed template)
>           OTHER READMES folder (these would be other examples)
>           README_README.md (the README for how to use the README
>     template ...🤔 perhaps this wasn't a very clear example)
>
>     Please +1/-1/0 to show your approval, rejection, or 'meh'
>     reactions before next week's meeting if possible?
>
>     Thanks!
>
>     Erin
>
>     --
>     Erin McKean | Developer Relations Program Manager, Open Source
>     Strategy |emckean at google.com <mailto:emckean at google.com> | she/her

> --

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier