[SeasonOfDocs] Proposed guidelines for selecting a paid contributor

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu May 9 01:18:55 PDT 2019

Hi folks,
I've taken a first cut at what I think we should use as guidelines for
selecting our paid contributors. I'd be interested to hear feedback. Are
there other things we should be considering?
--
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#Selection_criteria_for_paid_role

For the paid senior technical writer role
<https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/tech-writer-guide>, we
are looking for someone to help us reach our goals of being impactful,
sustainable and effective. In responding, consider:

   - How will your contributions be valuable beyond the SeasonOfDocs
   period, beyond the initiative you take on, beyond the specific project(s)
   you help?
   - How will you be helping others become more effective? Look at profiles
   of volunteers interested so far.
   - We have technical expertise. We are looking for someone with a breadth
   and depth of writing experience. You are familiar with various style
   guides, writing styles, information design, writing tools, etc. You’ll have
   opinions on which should be used and why and will help shape our
   communication strategies.
   - Will you be able to help us find and then become involved in best
   practice documentation communities? You might already be part of such
   communities.
   - You are nice and friendly, in line with our code-of-conduct
   <https://www.osgeo.org/code_of_conduct/>.
   - You know the basics of software development:
      - You can install software on linux, windows and mac from the command
      line
      - You understand basic git commands
      - You can read code and understand it
      - You are comfortable writing in wiki formats
   - Google offers standard-length (3 months) and long-running (6 months)
   options (for the same stipend funds). The longer timeframe is better suited
   to working with volunteers and our goal of sustainability.
   - It will be challenging for us to have the bandwidth to assess whether
   you are both competent and will sustain your involvement long term. Are you
   able to reference your volunteer involvement in other communities? How can
   you concisely reference your communication expertise?

Does all this sound exciting, but you suspect you don’t have the bandwidth
or expertise for the paid senior technical writer role? Why not join our
volunteers?

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier