[SeasonOfDocs] How should we focus OSGeo training within SeasonOfDocs?

Jared Morgan jaredleonmorgan at gmail.com
Thu May 30 05:00:30 PDT 2019

Jared Morgan
M: +61413005479
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/117309635670089895654/posts/p/pub> |
Twitter <http://twitter.com/!#/jaredmorgs> | Facebook
<http://facebook.com/jaredmorgs>

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 22:56, matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jared,
>
> >     One thought would be implementing some type of Git Flow for Docs.
> >     I've posted a question on Write the Docs to see if there is any
> >     prior art on using Git Flow for docs contributions. From what I
> >     understand about the project, all docs changes end up in GitHub, so
> >     if this is an actual barrier for new folks, we'll need to fix that.
> >
> >     Git Flow might be a possible answer to this. It is most likely not
> >     the only answer.
>
> are you sure git flow is an answer to the workflow difficulties? I'm
> afraid we are putting other entropy in the system that might be
> difficult to manage (installing other software, conflicts, etc). From my
> point of view the most difficult part for new comers is to handle plain
> text (+images, rst syntax with links, substitution..) and of course git.
>
> the complexity of the whole framework guarantees us a clean history and
> I'm afraid we have to deal with this entrance barrier.

It's great that you are raising these concerns, Matteo.

I wanted to pose this question to reveal some of the feelings around the
processes that are currently in place.

You are correct in that to use git-flow you do need desktop software
installed like Sourcetree.

Here's an interesting question to pose. If you could suggest your ideal way
of getting folks to contribute, what would that look like?

> >     Do we have a learning vision defined for the project? Where would I
> >     find this?
>
> what do you mean exactly here? The type of contribution an user wants to
> add?

Apologies for not being specific enough here. What I'm curious about is
whether we have any overarching learning goals that we would like users to
get out of existing training modules.

And, if the goals are different for new modules, what would those learning
goals be.

I will be open with you all here: I've not got much experience with
training material creation. It's something I'd like to learn more about and
I think I'm in the right project to get this knowledge.

> >     I'm currently testing out the four core documentation types
> >     (Tutorial, How-to, Discussion, Reference) at work for our internal
> >     documentation spaces in Confluence. The structure is working well,
> >     and the templates I've created allow a very consistent page
> >     presentation and predictable structure.
> >
> >     I've discovered that you can organise these docs in the following
> ways:
> >
> >      1. Use a tagging strategy to label each documentation type at the
> >         audience level. Present the docs with an audience focus, either
> >         in a narrative structure or in topic-based (stand-alone or
> >         self-contained) format.
> >      2. Use a tagging strategy to label at the content type level. Sort
> >         the content under its docs type, so folks can:
> >          1. find tutorials if they are new,
> >          2. how-to guides to solve specific problems,
> >          3. discussions to learn conceptual or foundational info,
> >          4. reference to learn technical info about a product.
> >

> >     The content types can be transferred to any content format. And the
> >     real benefit is that it's a huge help for new folks when working out
> >     "how do I write".
> >
> >     The other benefit is that if you write these doc types in an atomic
> >     way, they make remixing them into training modules much easier than
> >     you might think.
>
> so if I'm not understanding wrong you might want to refactor the
> Training Manual in a more atomic way?

That is my initial suggestion. But it only makes sense to do this if it
adds value to the existing content.

For example, if we make the content more atomic, will this help the project
remix the docs into user manuals?

The goal is to reduce the work in producing user guides *and* training
materials. Essentially it boils down to "write it once, use it twice".