[SeasonOfDocs] GeoNetwork Docs meeting notes

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 02:12:29 PST 2020

Present: Swapnil Ogale, Jo Cook, Paul van Genuchten, Byron Cochrain,
Maria Aras de Rayna

Swapnil has reviewed Windows getting started documentation, and has
worked out how to get it working. He will be submitting changes.

In list of documents [1] Swapnil has categorised "Current Content Type"
pages as per key doc types[2]. Next, Swapnil plans to categorise pages
into "Ideal Document Types" and enable finding gaps.

Maria noted that to date, most documentation has been developed by
individuals without much collaboration. She thinks it valuable to
provide a template which people can write against and collaborate around.

Paul/Maria noted that there is an extensive translations of GeoNetwork
docs. We considered limiting doc changes due to impact on translations.
However, with Maria's blessing, we feel that it is best to have at least
one excellent set of English docs, and it is then up to the translators
to keep up.

Jo suggested that we should suggest that translators wait for a set
milestone and doc baseline before translating. Eg: wait until Swapnil
finishes SeasonOfDocs stint. (Final week is 24 Feb 2020).

If Paul is right about there being a healthy community of translators,
some of these people might be able to help improve existing docs if we
provide a suitable template to follow. Paul said he'd follow up on this.

Swapnil volunteered to convert an existing doc to an exemplar doc, using
TheGoodDocsProject [3] [4] as a guide (note that it is still alpha and
might not fit well with GeoNework). Swapnil will focus on a Howto first,
then move to a Tutorial.

Once an exemplar is in place, Swapnil will invite others to review. I'll
review, hope others will too.

After the review, Paul and Maria offered to test writing against the
exemplar / template. Byron is interested in writing Tutorials, which
could be against the template too.

Jo will update the calendar invite - next meeting in 2 weeks. It appears
some people's calendars need refreshing.

[1] List of geonetwork doc pages and their status
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l5FwIj5wpr7QUGsmVNJsvvK5KenMEhHmdL_svfeqDXk/edit#gid=1668835383

[2] The four key doc types https://www.divio.com/blog/documentation/

[3] The Good Docs Project Templates 0.1 in Google Docs:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Z-UORVQp9TXxU94SphfMh1UkmE7yEom8

[4] The Good Docs Project Templates more recent source (view raw source
to see comments):
https://github.com/thegooddocsproject/templates/tree/master/how-to

--
Cameron Shorter