[SeasonOfDocs] GeoNetwork docs - status meeting

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 03:08:25 PST 2020

Notes:

* Swapnil has howto and tutorial templates in google docs. (See link below)

* Paul noted that Jody Garnet has feedback for docs. (Cameron notes that
Jody has written excellent tech docs before, notably writing one of the
original OSGeoLive quickstarts). Paul plans to incorporate doc
prioritization to spreadsheet of docs.

* Swapnil will update spreadsheet of geonetwork docs with categorisation
of docs in next day.

* Aim is to now get people to test using these templates, then get
Swapnil to review. (This should be the most effective use of Swapnil's
time as a tech writer.) Paul said there was someone who will work on it
at GeoCat. Maria should work on get onto this in a week or so. Hopefully
Byron will be able to help too?

* Paul offered to send an email out to geonetwork email list asking for
more help.

* Jo mentioned someone who as reached out to her with a bunch of doc
updates to share. Jo will follow up and hopefully forward onto Swapnil
to action.

* Swapnil will also start writing howtos/tutorials as well.

* Meetings are now moved to every week, same time. Ask Jo if you want to
be invited to the meeting.

* We decided to move conversation to geonetwork email list.

* Jo/Paul discussed adding a Feedback form to docs. Swapnil agreed this
to be a good way to capture feedback.

---

Suggested email for Paul to send out to GeoNetwork email list:

---

GeoNetwork has one month left to make use of our Google Season of Docs
Technical Writer, Swapnil Ogale, and we want to make sure we can make
good use of his remaining time. (His wrap up week starts 24 Feb).

If you have some bandwidth - we'd love Swapnil's writing experience to
amplify your GeoNetwork doc experience.

*Where to start:*
* Howto Template:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lSoAf9vDeuSvsF6snCDKsIvFpiSJV8_ouXs_ovrXWWA/
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lSoAf9vDeuSvsF6snCDKsIvFpiSJV8_ouXs_ovrXWWA/edit>
* Tutorial Template:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hMG2pcc-Dl0I_9ut7FUvNQxAu6Oe_qjh0QC61pv7lvI/
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hMG2pcc-Dl0I_9ut7FUvNQxAu6Oe_qjh0QC61pv7lvI/edit#>
* List of GeoNetwork Docs (and doc status):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l5FwIj5wpr7QUGsmVNJsvvK5KenMEhHmdL_svfeqDXk/edit?ouid=110542442124937335472&usp=sheets_home&ths=true

(Templates should be moved to git within next week and address any
feedback provided.)

*You could:*
* Update an existing tutorial or howto (or write a new one) based on
templates above.
* Provide track changes on a specific doc which needs improvement. Doc
updates can be provided in git or track changes in google docs or
similar. (We hope to add a Feedback form to our doc that can be used soon.)
* Confirm an existing howto or tutorial is still technically correct.

You don't need to be an excellent writer - for the next month we have a
technical writer who can help with that.

*How Swapnil will help us:*
* For next month, Swapnil will be reviewing howtos and quickstarts we
update and provide to him.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier