[Shapelib] Identify polygon by XY coordinate?

shapelib-admin at lists.maptools.org shapelib-admin at lists.maptools.org
Wed Mar 17 07:37:35 PST 2004

shapelib-admin at lists.maptools.org wrote:
> List,
>     I need a function that uses (X,Y) coordinates to identify the
> surrounding polygon in a shapefile, and then retrieve the associated
> attribute information for that polygon.
>     Does anyone have a function like that?

Bob,

The ogrinfo utility will approximately do this; however, it doesn't do
real point-in-polygon tests, it just verifies that the bounding box of
the polygon(s) intersects the target point(or region).  If that is
sufficient then you would use something like:

ogrinfo -ro -spat 481710 4752312 481710 4752312 polygon.shp polygon

   http://ogr.maptools.org

There is a point-in-polygon available in the CVS version of Shapelib if you
would like to construct a program to do this yourself.  I haven't tried the
point in polygon code, but I assume it works ok.  It may require some digging
to figure out how to use it and build an app to do the full operation.

I have attached the readme and code I received for this.  It should work with
a regular release shapelib.

Best regards,