[Shapelib] Re: [Gdal-dev] Shapelib and UNICODE

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Nov 11 11:04:53 PST 2004

> David Garcia wrote:
>
>> Frank,
>>
>> I will try to convert the strings to UNICODE using a (still looking
>> for it) conversion function from the Windows Run Time.
>>
>> In any case, do you have any clue on how to convert it to a UNICODE
>> string readable by Windows?

You'd have to know the original encoding I think.

Anyway, maybe libiconv (http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/) could
help? I don't know much about it, just that it allows you to convert
between character encodings and works on Windows as well as Unix/Linux.

I've also done some work with Windows functions from mbctype.h but that
was several years ago and I don't remember how that worked at all. You
may find some interesting hints in avc_mbyte.c in the AVCE00 library at
http://avce00.maptools.org/avce00/index.html

Good Luck!

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca