[Shapelib] Source code for interpreting Shape Files using shapelib

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:45:39 PDT 2005

On 5/9/05, Frederick C. Lee <fclee at highstream.net> wrote:
> Greetings:
>      Where can I get a  C/C++ source/code (engine) that can draw
> vector images using shapelib?

Ric,

I can't think of any really simple Shapelib based rendering engines.
Perhaps others will have a suggestion.

MapServer is a fairly sophisticated map rendering engine that
operates from Shapefiles as the native data type.  It uses GD
internally for rendering.  It also uses a variant of Shapelib to
read the shape files, rather than the stock release, in order to
gain a bit of efficiency.  You might want to look at it.  Even if you
just clip out parts of the code to use in conjunction with GD and
the stock shapelib.

  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/

Other messy engines include OpenEV's (based on OpenGL),
and Thuban (not sure of the internal details).  I'm sure there are
more.

Best regards,