[Shapelib] Shapefile creation

David.Gancarz at ci.orlando.fl.us David.Gancarz at ci.orlando.fl.us
Tue Oct 31 12:36:22 PST 2006

To add yet another way to do this, there is a sample program in
http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/contrib/ MapToolsArchive.zip that does
what you have described, only it gets the xy values from a SqlServer
database.  It would be easy enough to stream data in from a file instead.
It is in c#.

btw, the boilerplate text about Florida's public records law is a new
directive from our legal department --- don't blame me :-(

Hope this helps,
David Gancarz

Florida has a very broad public records law.  As a result, any written
communication created or received by City of Orlando officials and
employees will be made available to the public and media, upon request,
unless otherwise exempt.  Under Florida law, email addresses are public
records.  If you do not want your email address released in response to a
public records request, do not send electronic mail to this office.
Instead, contact our office by phone or in writing.

<Mike.Sexton at ga.gov.au>
Sent by: shapelib-bounces at lists.maptools.org
10/30/2006 11:31 PM
Please respond to
Shapelib Development <shapelib at lists.maptools.org>

<shapelib at lists.maptools.org>
cc

Subject
[Shapelib] Shapefile creation

Hi,

For some time I have been wondering how one produces shapefiles from
scratch and have found it very difficult to find relevant information
I have numerous files of X,Y data that describe points, lines and polygons
that I wnt to capture as shapefiles.

Fortunately I found  the shapelib pages

I downloaded the shapelib tar file and shocked myself when the make
worked.

I have been able to make some simple shapefiles by following the
instructions, and I am now wondering how I can use my X,Y files.

For example: shpadd testfile.shp 10.0 1.0 20.0 2.0 30.0 3.0, works fine

but I want to load an X,Y file containing 1000?s of point into the
shapefile. I just cant see how to stream the coordinates into the ahpadd
program

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mike Sexton