[Shapelib] cygwin - shpopen.c - linker errors __assert, __ftol

C S usmsci at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 13:56:04 PDT 2008

hi all - i am trying to compile a C++ native library using the shapelibrary. the one for linux is built but in cygwin i seem to be having some linker error problems and i have to assume it has to do with something regarding MSVC. i am including Java because i am using JNI to talk back and forth to Java. libShapeData.dll is my own native library that i want to build for windows.

at the cygwin prompt:

gcc -D__int64="long long" -shared -I\C:\Apps\Java\jdk1.6.0_05\include -I\C:\Apps\Java\jdk1.6.0_05\include\win32 -I\c:\Users\usmsci\My Documents\shapefiles\shapelib128_bin_win -L\c:\Users\usmsci\My Documents\shapefiles\shapelib128_bin_win myFile.cpp -o libShapeData.dll c:\Users\usmsci\My Documents\shapefiles\shapelib128_bin_win\shpopen.obj c:\Users\usmsci\My Documents\shapefiles\shapelib128_bin_win\dbfopen.obj

the errors i get are:

Warning: .drectve '-defaultlib:LIBC' - unrecognized
Warning: .drectve '-defaultlib:OLDNAMES' - unrecognized
Warning: .drectve '-defaultlib:LIBC' - unrecognized
Warning: .drectve '-defaultlib:OLDNAMES' - unrecognized

c:\Users\usmsci\My Documents\shapefiles\shapelib128_bin_win\shpopen.o:shpopen.c
(.text+0x1485):undefined reference to __assert

the same thing happens for dbfopen.c. other undefined references include __ftol and __itob. those are the only 3.

is there a compiler option that i can use or is there a way to somehow rebuild the shapefile library somehow? i am really not sure what is going on here - so it is kind of hard what to specifically ask. thanks all for the help in advance!