[Shapelib] Removal of PROJ dependency (and functionality) in shapelib ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Feb 23 04:46:38 PST 2019

Hi,

Due to the upcoming PROJ 6 release that deprecates proj_api.h (still there,
but you need to define the ACCEPT_USE_OF_DEPRECATED_PROJ_API_H macro), with
its complete removal planned for PROJ 7, I consider doing some radical surgery
by removing completely the PROJ dependency at all, since I don't personnaly
use the PROJ related functionality of shapelib (but use rather GDAL/OGR SRS
support with core shapelib)

PROJ dependency is only in the contrib part of shapelib, not in the lib
itself.

So that would mean removing the following functions from contrib/shpgeo.h:

extern int 	SHPProject ( SHPObject *psCShape,
                             projPJ inproj, projPJ outproj );
extern projPJ 	SHPSetProjection ( int param_cnt, char **params );
extern int 	SHPFreeProjection ( projPJ p);

And drop completely the contrib/shpproj utility that uses them

So this would be technically a functional regression, but I don't personally
care about that functionality of the contrib part of shapelib to make the
effort to port it to PROJ 6 new api, and GDAL can be used for that.

Any (strong) objection to that plan ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com