[SoC] Students are coming...

Tim Keitt tkeitt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 16:16:26 EDT 2007

On 4/10/07, Cory Horner <chorner at refractions.net> wrote:
> in the next day or two...
>
> What are we going to tell them?
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors
> http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/docs/summer-of-code-mentoring-howto/index.html
> http://www.red-bean.com/ospowiki/CommunicationProblems
>
> Right off the bat we should hit them with a list of requirements, ie
> weekly meeting with mentor/progress report...

This will probably vary a great deal from student to student. Some
will need a lot of training and study time, other will probably be
ready to jump in. Certainly frequent communication with the core
developers on a project will be key to avoid overlapping efforts or
clashes in implementation, etc.

> Thoughts:
>
> - send an intro email right away
> - everyone should let frank know that they have made contact with their
> student
> - secondary mentors for each student (for improved communication when
> offline)
> - get the students talking on devel mailing lists (emphasis with getting
> the student into the COMMUNITY)
> - set them up with svn access (your code will live here) and such
> - private mailing list for osgeo gsoc students only?
> - blogging? (a blog post from each student, each week or two would be
> cool... and would make osgeo more visible -- there may be a group
> already hosting gsoc 2007 student blogs)
> - each project should introduce the gsoc students on the mailing list

These seem like good ideas.

> - osgeo will get $7500 from google as its mentoring stipend; will this
> (or a portion) be distributed to each project or held by osgeo?

I  wasn't aware that there were mentor stipends. Is this to go
directly to mentors or to the projects or as you say stay with osgeo?
I think to avoid bad feelings, this ought to be addressed and a
decision made. If the money stays with osgeo, how would it be used?

THK

> More reading:
>
> http://www.red-bean.com/ospowiki/SessionNotes/GsocStudents
> http://www.red-bean.com/ospowiki/SessionNotes
>
> Would someone care to break out some wiki pages for this? I am out of
> time...
>
> Cheers,
> Cory.

Timothy H. Keitt, University of Texas at Austin
Contact info and schedule at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/
Reprints at http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/papers/
ODF attachment? See http://www.openoffice.org/