[SoC] Communicating with potential students

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Mar 21 18:25:05 EDT 2007

Depends -

We had some users show up on our IRC meeting or developers list - we can
answer their questions there in public.
If we hunt then down for discussion privately that may be viewed as
interfering with the process.

I am not sure if students get to revise their submission or not (by the
time we see the submission with an O(n^3) it may already be too late).

Great
- they contact us through official channels; public discussion on the
development lists
Good:
- we hunt down a student for public discussion before deadline
Bad:
- we hunt down a student for private discussion prior to deadline

For feedback after the deadline we can contact the students (for ones
that have a great idea and make
the cut you are probably still interested in their volunteer time);
individual developer lists may want to talk about submissions as part of
figuring out
who can mentor what.

Cheers,
Jody