[SoC] Re: OSGeo Google Summer of Code

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 28 14:49:23 EDT 2007

Cory Horner wrote:
> Last year it was based on score, so we ended up with our top 3 which was
> not what we wanted.  For our safety we should probably fix the scores to
> what we collectively want.
> 1) we sort out which applications belong to which projects (this is
> simple in most cases, but some applications are multi-project)
>
> 2) each project ranks their proposals independently
>
> 3) we all meet and decide which projects get the slots depending on how
> many slots we get.  ie slot #1 goes to GRASS, slot #2 to GDAL, etc...
>
> We can then score the projects based on these...

Cory / everyone,

Agreed.  I have created a wiki page with the applications that have associated
mentor offers, and segregated by project.  I'd appreciate it if the
GeoTools/uDig folks could confirm my categorization of their applications as
some of them weren't immediately obvious to me.

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/SoC_Application_Rankings_by_Project

Based on the number of acceptable applications I would suggest we assign our
slots in this order:

  1 - GRASS #1
  2 - GDAL #1
  3 - GeoTools #1
  4 - uDig #1
  5 - PostGIS #1
  6 - GRASS #2
  7 - GDAL #2
  8 - GeoTools #2
  9 - uDig #2
10 - GRASS #3
and so on.

I would like each project PSC to decide on their preferred ordering, and from
those mentors that offered to take an application, which they would like to
select for the task.  Please update the wiki page as decisions are made, and
make a note there that things are set, ideally with a reference back to a PSC
motion though that isn't critical.

It looks like April 11th is when approved students are announced.  I don't know
how long it takes them to do the selection.  I'd guess it is automatic, so
likely not very long.  But I'd like to aim to have all PSC decisions made and
the wiki updated by April 9th, and then Landon or I will update the point
scores to put things in the selected order.

Any objections to this approach?

Best regards,