[SoC] Mentorship Limits

Simone Giannecchini simboss1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 20:50:09 EDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> What do folks think about the number of projects a person can mentor?  It
> is my feeling that *normally* a person should only mentor one project to
> avoid the students not getting enough attention from mentors with too much
> on the go.  But I don't feel this needs to be a hard and fast rule.
>
> Looking at the tentative assignments I see Wolf five projects.  Are there
> enough GRASS mentors to handle some of these?
>
> I also see Tim Keitt with two postgis projects.  Are there other postgis
> mentors?  I know of Mateusz, but he already has a GDAL project, and didn't
> feel up to some of the more esoteric postgis stuff.
>
> I am listed with 3, but one is being turned over to Daniel, and one will be
> dropped.
>
> Ian and Simone also have two, but there seem to be lost of java mentors to
> spread these out a bit.

I have no problems with giving one of the two projects to someone else
as long as it is not Daniele Romagnoli's project. He work with me
quite often and also he lives close to me so I feel pretty confident
about working with me.
Anyway, IMHO, the mentor should not just be someone from the pool of
Java mentors, but someon who knows a bit about the topic, which for
the second applications is mostly georectifications. I don't know if
these year Martin Desruisseaux applied as a mentor but he would be the
best person for mentoring the guy, even because he already mentored
him last year with quite a sucess.

Cheers,
Simone.

> I'm inclined to leave the final decision on mentors taking on multiple students
> to the project PSCs.  But do think that five is too many unless Wolf is
> prepared to spend his summer doing little else.
>
> As far as I know we can still add additional mentors, so perhaps there is a
> need to beat the bushes for some more GRASS mentors?
>
> Best regards,
> --

Eng. Simone Giannecchini
President /CEO GeoSolutions