[SoC] SoC report: Geo-BI dashboards

Etienne Dube etdube at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:45:09 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

1. What did I do this week:

- Implemented equal intervals styling for choropleth maps. It optionally
generates interval bounds dynamically, i.e. by retrieving the min and
max values for the current features of the layer. This functionality is
very useful when drilling from one level to another, since the range of
value can vary a lot between levels (e.g. populations in members of a
"Country" level will be higher than the populations in a
"State/Province" level.)

- Had a discussion with my mentor about a name for the project, and
licensing choices. We agreed on the use of the Common Public License
(CPL) for the Java servlet component and a modified BSD license (the
same as OpenLayers') for the JavaScript client component.

- Investigated the possibility of distributing a test data package.
Unfortunately the license we have for the data I'm using for
constructing my test cube is restricted to research and educative
purposes only, so I can't redistribute it or even set up a public demo
page! Isn't it great to develop a fully open project, but realize at the
last moment that your hands and feet are tied due to the data you're
using :/ . I will have to either ask (and pray) for the necessary
permission to redistribute the data, or create a new, free as in beer
and as in speech, data cube. Until then, we'll have to distribute the
source without any accompanying data cube.

- Still haven't had enough time for a beer and to go cycling. Will do
Monday afternoon! (cycling first, then beer ;) )

2. What do I plan on doing this Sunday:

- De-uglify the test page (still not done yet... I'm not exactly of the
artistic kind ;) )
- Make the olap4j connect string configurable in the servlet (forgot
that one!)
- Add a control for choosing a style to apply to the Geo-BI layer in the
test page.
- Create a README file and add the relevant license texts in the project.
- Work on a legend display for the test page... not sure I'll have
enough time to complete this before the deadline though.
- Notify my mentor of the availability of the final code on my SVN
repository.

3. Am I blocked on anything:

- No, it's almost done!

Have a nice weekend.