[SoC] Google Summer of Code 2008

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed Feb 20 08:53:36 EST 2008

Hello fellow OSGeoers!

Google is about to announce summer of code 2008, and this year I'd like
to be a bit more prepared.

So for this reason I have updated our old SoC Wiki page [1] with
information for this year.

Each project should now start to think of ideas and also who their
mentors should be.

We should also decide on a uniform way to review the student
applications. Do we need/want to have an entry exam? A few questions
about gis and some simple generic programming task? Do you have other ideas?

As for the ideas themselves it seems that the trend is to have not very
detailed but not too generic ideas either. These semi-generic ideas
should get the creative juices of the students to flow, which should
help us in finding the best and the brightest. I think this is good
advice, it will allow us to judge the applications also on the base of
what the students come up with.

Also we should create a wiki page for each application we find even a
bit interesting to flesh it out during the review period.

In the Google SoC wiki page [2] they have some very good advice. If you
want to be a mentor, be sure to read them, then talk among your selves
and decide on who the mentor(s) should be. Google recommends 2 mentors
per student (plus 1 generic backup mentor), but that depends a bit on
the mentors (and students), and if you are going to have a summer vacation.

So project mentors or people interested in SoC, please read [1] and [2]
and maybe start working on the idea page of your project.

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code
[2] http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors

Looking forward to another Summer of Code,
--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>