[SoC] Weekly reports

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Sun Jul 20 11:11:10 EDT 2008

Hello students and Mentors,

I'm writing because two thirds of the students failed to send their
weekly reports this week (you know who you are). Remember that you
should send your report *every* Friday.

We don't request the weekly reports because we think it is fun to see
you squirm. No, you should see the weekly report as a tool to organize
your thoughts, and maybe do some planning, also when you graduate and
get to work "in the real" world you can expect pretty much the same
thing, maybe not in this form, but you will have to report to your
superiors, so you can also thing of this as free training to make
concise reports. Also it helps everybody to keep moving forward when
everybody else sees that they've made some progress.

If you are having personal problems with writing a 3-sentence report,
please contact me and we can maybe find some other way or I can find
some other way to motivate you ;)

In the mid-term surveys the weekly reports got mainly positive feedback,
but there were some grumbling too, so please speak up, and tell me what
you find so offensive and difficult with writing 3 sentences (yes, that
is all it takes) once per week.

Regards,
Wolf Bergenheim
OSGeo SoC Administrator