[SoC] Netcdf for uDig - status report #7

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 03:56:18 EDT 2009

Hi Jody,

> Thanks for the status report (with pictures). This week was also review
> pass/fail time - and I have not heard much from the other project (do you
> have anything Jesse?)
>
> I was interested in the date parsing issues (interested in the "oh I hate
> applications arguing over date formats sense"); and also the handling over
> EPSG:4326 and nothing else? Is there anything we can do on our side to get
> along with others on these two issues?

I will digg into the date thing a bit better and see what can be done.
Anyway I think this might be a ncBrowse issue.
In my case I used the time format:
milliseconds from 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
while I note that usually the used format is:
hours from 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC

Regarding the CRS format, I think we will not get out of this
successfull. The geotools and netcdf libraries really deal in a
different way with the formats and not all the same crs are supported.
So I really think that the lat/long choice is the best. I also is done
like that in the ncWMS project, which uses netcdf for reading and
geotools for rendering  the WMS map. In that case data are always read
in whatever projection and first reprojected to 4326. Then things are
projected back to whatever the user asked for. Not so nice, but it is
the interface point between the two libs I guess. Will try to ask some
expert about that.

Andrea