[SoC] Re: Was: [RouterGeocoder] Re: [pgrouting-users] Google Summer of Code for the router project

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Fri Mar 27 04:48:08 EDT 2009

Hello Daniel,

Nice to see activity, I'm sorry I woke up to these project so late, I
hope it isn't too late...

On 27.03.2009 10:34, Daniel Kastl wrote:
> Hi Wolf,
>
> I thought I better move this discussion to the SoC mailing list.

Very good. :)

> Well, I just realized that there is not really much time left for the
> proposals.

That is true. And as of now we still only have 4 proposals, but I have
had contact with 3 students who will be submitting their proposals soon.

> From the pgRouting project Anton Patrushev and I are willing to mentor.
> I checked the steps on the OSGeo wiki page and saw that Steve already
> added OpenGeocoder ideas.

> My question is how to proceed now.
> Steve, may I just clone your OpenGeocoder page and create a similar one
> for OpenRouter?
> Do we want to discuss our ideas on the RouterGeocoder list before we add
> them to the wiki page. Maybe there is not enough time anymore for a long
> discussion.

Due to time constrains I recommend that you clone the OpenGeocoder page
for Openrouter and just add the ideas. There are just hints on what we'd
like the students to consider, not an official list of projects that the
student is limited to. So it doesn't have to be very formal either.

> In addition to Steve's ideas I thought about
> - Implement a bi-directional shortest path algorithm
> - Improve the Traveling Salesperson (make it possible to return to the
> start point)
> - Improve the OpenStreetMap data import tool (or even other data sources)
> - Add support for time constraints
> - Network layering support might be too difficult

Those sound very good as for scope and complexity for SoC.

--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>